Friday, October 29, 2010

Side by Side

So I have been working on this little project for a few weeks now. It entailed lots of steps..
Priming, sanding, painting, sanding, painting, gold leafing, sealing, glazing.
I know, I know. Wow. But the before and after pictures are pretty awesome, if I do say so myself!



Yes. Gross. You are looking at a stack of
two dirty old side tables
scored off the side of the road..
and one is covered with very attractive contact paper..
that took forever to scrape off. Forever.
The thought of chunking them into the dumpster crossed my mind several times.



I rolled the sides and the tops,
 but found that spray primer and paint worked so much better for the edging and the medallions.
I also went with a Satin Black to draw more attention to the gold leafing.



As I showed yesterday, I had a bit of inspiration. I thought of going all- white, like my credenza, but I loved the idea of black with super glamorous gold leafed medallions.
After I sealed the leaf, I added a bronze glaze to calm them down a bit.
So, Now.. the After Shot:



Finally!
They would be great as side tables flanking a sofa..
and they offer tons of storage. 

 A special thank you to my friend, Kristen, who patiently watched me gold leaf in the carport every time she came over for wine!  


1 comment: